Wednesday, September 9, 2009

You can be a big pig too...OY! (day 40)



I will be packing my resistance band, pushup bars, shorts and sports bra and heading to Hawaii on Saturday (12th-19th) for a family vacation. My dad knows about the PCP, so one of the first stops we're making is Costco. Nice one, dad! I'm pretty nervous about getting my workouts in, especially on luau night. What if 300 pound Hawaiins surround me and force me to eat the roast pig? I'm hoping to do a lot of swimming, bodysurfing and maybe even some surfing if I can convince my little bro to tutor me in the ways of cowabunga.

After the vacation it's back to busy real life, and while I know all life is real life, I mean looking for a job for hours a day, building up my rapidly dwindling bank account, learning how to drive and being a productive citizen real life. I've been putting it off until after the vacation because, well, "hey boss, I know I've only been here a month, but I need a week off to go to Hawaii."

The JET (Japanese English Teachers) program opens in late September, and if the application process is anything like the last application process I went through (wisdom teeth out, multiple doctor's visits, blood drawn, essays, protracted interviews) I'm rolling my eyes already and steeling myself.

I loved Japan when I last visited it though, the people I met, the cities, the public transportation, the style of houses, the shrines, the food, the kawaii... Sure, some of that would wear off. But it sounds fun, and my parents are working there soon, so they can scope it out for me. I heard good things from my former co-workers about the program, and I really liked teaching when the kids responded at all to my efforts to teach creatively. Or when they responded at all. I think I would be so happy with a class of mostly attentive, quiet kids who don't start screaming meows when they hear the word "noun," or hit each other, or talk over their classmates, or talk through the entire class. "Class, this is a noun." "Ne-owwwn." "Me-ow!" "ME-OW!"

2 comments:

  1. Have fun in Hawaii, Jess! Someday I hope to get there! Good luck with the PCP there! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks E! I hope you will make it someday

    ReplyDelete