Friday, September 4, 2009

Diet (day 35)


I was always one of those kids in school who had some idea of what was going on, but not the entire picture. Like the time the teacher sent me with a pass and a stack of papers to the teacher's lounge to make copies and I came back with 300 copies of the pass. Or the time I spent 8 hours making a collage of house cats when we were supposed to choose a wild animal. I had 8 wasted hours and all those little domestic kitties running around. So I kind of want to see what other PCPers eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and give you an idea of what I've been eating on the PCP. Just in case.

Here's today's menu:

Breakfast: Egg on toast, steamed kale, whole grain Cheerios with milk/honey
Snack: Watermelon, grapes, egg white
Lunch: My own version of shrimp scampi, two (whole grain, lowfat) cheese sandwiches, yam fries, egg white
Snack: A plum, egg white
Dinner: Chicken, a little cottage cheese, steamed zucchini or brussel sprouts
Snack: Apple, milk, egg white

VS.

Here's today's pre-PCP menu:

Breakfast: Cap'n Crunch with milk
Snack: Pie
Drink: Orange juice
Lunch: Salad with feta cheese and dressing
Later lunch: Cheese on chips with sour cream
Later later lunch: More cheese chips with sour cream
Snack: Rice Krispy Treat
Snack: Watermelon
Drink: Beer
Dinner: Steak fried in butter, steamed zucchini with cheese, bread with butter
Snack: Popcorn
Drink: Orange juice

Exercise now: Every day various 52 minute (I'm down 2 minutes!) combinations, like 4x16=64 repetitions of curls, planks, v-sits etc.

Exercise then: Occasional jogging for 30 min.

What's really nice about the PCP is that I'm eating all the time, but healthily. If you'll notice the pre-PCP menu, you'll see my breakfast is woefully inadequate. This sets me up for later failure when I try to eat a healthy salad. I feel deprived and then eat two servings of cheese chips. Then that leads to a craving for something sweet, then for something else sweet, and it snowballs.

I haven't gone off the diet at all, but I still have cravings. I'm not gonna lie. Last night I was dreaming of pools of hot fudge over soft serve ice cream. It kinda sucks, but like I said before, the PCP diet has you constantly eating so there's no chance to feel deprived and run to the nearest Dairy Queen. And I'm sure I would have pre-PCP. My resolve to eat healthy would have lasted all of two seconds before I would have pushed old ladies away to belly up to the nearest McDonald's or Burgerville. So while I have cravings, I realize they're fleeting and that all it will take is a good plum to quiet the wolfhounds of desire. Wow...

5 comments:

  1. Love the menu comparison...Love...Funny how before, never thought about what I was eating-but thought about food all the time in a last supper sort of way "what should I indulge in next" Now, think about eating all the time, and food not so much-like, I know what is good for me-so don't really think about it ( execpt for the frozen yogurt or creamy treat..)

    Ok-anyway-what I get at the farmers market
    Greens for salad
    Tomatoes
    Asparagus
    Avocados
    Spinich
    Different greens each week-Mustard greens, bok choy, kale
    Garlic, onions
    Cantalope
    Strawberries
    Blackberries
    FLOWERS! Hydrangeas, White Lilys and roses are my favorite
    Whole grain bread

    AND OF COURSE....EGGS...LOTS OF EGGS
    Up to 24 a week...

    Seriously, a fantastic way to start the new week on PCP or weekend, all in about 50.00 and have almost everything we need for the week except the costco protein, greek yogurt and milk!!

    Do you have a one you can go to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...and don't forget the beets. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you live that you have Burgerville? You're not a PDXer too, are ya?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is my diet for comparison. A lot of divergence from the plan. Hope Patrick is not reading :)

    Breakfast: Milk and Cereal
    Snack: 1egg + 1 egg white
    Lunch: 4 Chapatis + 1 egg + 1 egg white + gourd + grilled chicken
    Snack: 1 Cheese Stick
    Dinner: 1 banana + 1 apple + milk + coffee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, sounds tasty! No Costco near though, sadly. Just Freddies.

    Jeremy, used to go to college in the northwest...

    Anshu: cheese stick sounds yummy, will have to get some.

    ReplyDelete