Friday, August 7, 2009

Oh snap! crackle pop (day 7)


Your cereal is talking to you. It's saying that you too can enjoy the prehistoric hijinks of Fred and his dinosaur pals. It knows that you like bright colors and sugar. Your cheeseburger is talking to your body too, in a perfected language of fat and grease.

Some foods are more agressive then others.

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/choccy/

I didn't realize how addicted I was to some foods until I stepped out of my culture into one where they weren't available. Nearly every day in my last year of college I drank:
1 grande cafe mocha + 2 shots of espresso
1 Redbull
1 tall Monster drink
1 Vanilla Coke
1 coffee
2 shots espresso

I would sit in my yoga class, jittery and miserable, and wondering why yoga wasn't making me calmer. I didn't fully feel the negative effects of these drinks until I went to a faraway place where the only caffeine was Nescafe, and I hated Nescafe. After the final caffeine fumes wore off, I wondered what the hell I'd been doing. Was I some secret superhero that I needed all that extra energy? My body was so happy to be free of the constant adrenaline rush. Since I've returned to the US I've only had a few coffees and I've always felt like shit afterwards.

Which leads me to foods. The entire time I was away, all I did at night was think about foods, and for the first few months, talk about them. I had a little picture of cheesy bread sticks that I carried around like it was a lost cat poster. Every chance I got to cook I poured salt and grease over the sauces I made. In short, I'm a little afraid that I won't be able to break free easily of these lifelong addictions that even a prolonged stint of seperation couldn't accomplish. I'm also curious to see if my body will say, "finally! What took you so long, ya dingus?"

So for today I bought green beans, plums, brussel sprouts, carrots, and blueberries and I'm going to listen to what they have to say. Cuz I think I trust Patrick more than a sneaky burger.

P.S. I added some new pictures :)

3 comments:

  1. nice on the photo. PCP is as much about listening (to your body, to good food) as it is about doing (exercises).

    burgers: who knew what kind of bastards they were?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you go? The picture in your banner looks awfully similar to Niger, which is where I was posted with the Peace Corps until a little over a year ago?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Melanie. We should eat more of them to protect the world...wait a minute...

    Seabass, it's Mauritania. :)

    ReplyDelete