Monday, August 10, 2009

Learnin' Stuff (Day 11)


I’m heading to the library tomorrow for some good readin’ so here is day 11’s post in advance. I still welcome book recommendations. Here is some stuff I learned this week:

1.) Buying healthy foods isn’t that expensive. I thought it would be because I was looking at fancy products, but you can buy vegetables, low fat milk, and meats in bulk. And they’re far, far less deleterious to your health than pizza or 6 cheeseburgers. Ouch.

2.) I have muscles somewhere under my skin. Some of them live in my shoulders and arms, some of them live in my stomach, and some of them live in my legs. I would like to nurture them.

3.) Cooking isn’t as hard as I thought it would be. The trick will be learning how to spice things. I cooked 4 things I’ve never cooked before. I am in danger of overdoing it on olive oil and cottage cheese. Tasty, simple recipes are joyfully accepted. Unless they include shallots. I don’t trust shallots.

4.) I enjoy jumproping a lot, especially to cheesy things like “Give it to you” by Sean Paul and Girl Talk stuff.

5.) I am near a playground with a pull-up bar

6.) You need a special door anchor for your resistance band for certain exercises. Just shutting the door on it won’t work, nor will hanging it on a coat rack hook and pulling. The latter will result in two painful welts on your back until you learn better.

7.) No good thing comes out of using a metal table for incline pullups when your hands are slick with sweat.

8.) Being a beginner at stuff gets under my skin sometimes. Especially when I grab onto a table to help my creaky legs get into lotus and then end up rolling off the zafu like a Weeble. It's like...Buddha...dammit! Consarnit!

9.) According to Michael Pollan, food scientists tend to isolate a particular nutrient/element of a food and tout its helpfulness. This ignores the complex interaction between that element, the rest of the elements, and the human body. We can be pretty sure that vegetables are good for us, though.

Also, I learned that whole grain is not the same as whole wheat. Whole wheat is more refined, and thus contains less nutrients than the whole grain. Multi-grain is pulling similar malarkey. Sneaky bastards.

10.) Low-fat cheese isn’t real cheese. No matter how many times I put my lips to it trying to suck a bit of delicious cheese essence from its pores, it will never become real cheese. Won’t stop me from trying, though.

Finally, RIP PC RIM. Good luck sitemates!

3 comments:

  1. awww i really like this post because it smacks of learning, acceptance and a willingness to try ;) i have found the PCP to be very humbling. as adults we have for whatever reason forgotten to try new things be it food or a new activity and that sometimes it's hard and it's ok to fail or be less than competent or able at first.

    as for food, i try to try one or two new veg/fruit/grain every time i shop. it's interesting. also don't forget to vary your cooking methods. poaching, boiling, grilling, broiling.

    and if you haven't, try Pollan's two books. highly recommend them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melanie. It's good to have a friend (in PCP Jesus) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. #10: I am in total agreement. I went high end thinking that would save me from the plastic taste of low fat cheese. Nope. Cottage cheese is on the shopping list.

    ReplyDelete