Thursday, October 1, 2009

Mr. Twinkles (Day 62)

Communities can be vital, lively sources of feedback and encouragement. But sometimes, depending on conflicts in time and distance or the rarity of your interest, you might find that you are the only blue-haired cat tamer in your city. Or in our case, PCPer. When that "complete" stamp goes up on our picture, it's up to us to keep steaming our zucchini, sweating through another Plank or taking Mr. Twinkles through the flaming hoop one more time. So what can we do in this situation? I struggle with this question a lot. I'm sure that Patrick will have some helpful advice once we get there, but I am trying to come up with some answers for myself.

1.) Realize that your actions got you this far. It's not somebody else's hand feeding you the last egg white of the evening or scraping your quivering ab pecs off of the floor. Similarly, it will be your actions that keep your jumprope oiled and your steamer gleaming. At the same time, appreciate the time, care, and encouragement you received in the PCP community. I know I do.

2.) Build your own community. A community doesn't have to be made of people, unless it's Soylent Green. Your can create your own community from books and articles that support your interests and videos that inspire. Mike, for example, shows a "Monday Motivational Movie" every week. Nothing can fully replace a teacher or human community, but these can be good resources in a pinch.

3.) Stroke Mr. Twinkles and cry because you are alone, so very, very alone.

3.) Be stubborn. Continue even if you think nobody cares. You don't know who is watching you. If Patrick and the other PCPers hadn't put in the effort every day I wouldn't have signed up here. Similarly, that cashier at the local Kmart might be looking for ways to get healthy, or maybe your cousin wants to lose 10 pounds. My mom told me that she stopped drinking Coke because of me. So steam your kale and pound through those sit-ups.

3 comments:

  1. It's so important to make the mental switch and see that you are now the kind of person who actually likes steamed vegetables and exercise. Believe it or not, it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the end of the program in sight, I know the feeling well. What do I do when it's all over?

    One step is that I plan on continuing to blog about it. Doing a daily entry sometimes can be tough, but it's also structured. Keeps the program forefront in my mind, thus keeps me focused and accountable. I don't know where the blog will be right at the moment, but there's still time before a decision has to be made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The community keeps me going every day too—taking on a task this size would be nearly impossible without it. You make a great point that it's important for us to find the support we need even after our 90 days are up, and sometimes that means you have to get creative!

    P.S. I LOVE that your example inspired your mom to give up Coke!

    ReplyDelete